Are you as Successful as a Fifth Grader?

One of my favorite protocols provided by the National School Reform Faculty in its Critical Friends Group New Coaches’ training is the “Success-Analysis Protocol.” In schools, I have typically used this protocol at the end of a semester or school year to encourage self-reflection among teachers and to open the eyes of teachers to the things their colleagues are most proud of. In Western Civilization culture, “bragging” is often frowned upon, so we are unlikely to do it unless we are surrounded by close friends or family. This protocol, however, makes bragging okay!

The protocol first asks participants to identify a success from a given period of time (i.e. first semester, this school year, in the past 5 years), whatever the facilitator has chosen that to be. Participants are then given time to jot down as many details about that success. What was it? Who did it affect? Why was this success so meaningful to you? Then, in groups of four, a rotation begins. A first “presenter” shares his or her success before other participants have an opportunity to ask clarifying questions. After time has expired for those questions, the presenter turns his or her chair around so the other participants can be heard, but not seen. The others then have a conversation, analyzing and breaking down the many details of the success. Some of these details may have been heard explicitly, while others may be inferred.

At the conclusion of the analysis, the presenter turns back around to reflect on what was heard. Almost always, the presenter’s understanding of what he or she accomplished has been grown by what the other participants said. They add perspective to the initial success that was shared, emphasizing its importance and effect on others. Typically, each round ends with a lot of smiles, high-fives, and fist bumps. It’s a lot of fun!

Until recently, I had only attempted this protocol with adults and with high school students...but a school gave me an opportunity to attempt it with elementary students, so I gave it a shot. My results were fantastic! These kids relished the opportunity to share their successes with their peers, and they embraced the opportunity to talk about their peers’ successes! Working with fifth graders, I was very directive in my approach when I had them identify their success. I had them consider any success inside or outside of school within this school year, and I posted the 5Ws and H on the board (who, what, when, where, why, and how). I gave them 6 minutes to “freewrite” about their success, and encouraged them to consider each W and H. I then added some structure to my facilitation of the conversation, serving as a timer for the entire room. As I facilitated, I listened to the amazing variety of things they identified as successes. I also collected their freewrites, and here is some of what I heard...
  • While stressful, school “tests” offer opportunities for students to be proud of their work, especially when they’re not always successful...and our responses to their hard work and success (both before and after the tests) are certainly noted: 
    • One student wrote, “In November, I got a 100% on my english test. My parents were proud of me, also. I studied a lot.” 
    • Lauren wrote that she got a 90% on a math test last week; she went on to say that her mom got her a shake from Jack-in-the-Box to celebrate! 
    • Another student wrote that she got a 103% on a social studies test that was really hard to study for; she explained how her mom had helped her study. 
  • Other things we do in schools provide students with reasons to smile: 
    • One student spoke of how proud she was to have had her art featured at a local mall. 
    • Another student wrote, “When I ran for Student Council, I was really just trying to have fun, but I was so excited when I got voted into STUCO! 
    • Bailey pointed out that a teacher had chosen her, out of all of her classmates, to receive an “Empathy Award.” She was most moved by this because she thought it was “awesome” that her teacher “noticed her.” She added, “He finds ways to notice us all the time.” 
  • Athletics and activities give our young people experiences to be proud of: 
    • Wyatt hit two homeruns and won a game for his fall baseball team. 
    • At gymnastics, Megan got “shot through” on the bars. She got it by “practicing and practicing.” She said that her coach helped her. 
    • Another student got 1st place in an Irish dance competition. She explained that her whole family was there; they were a huge support for me. Most important to her was that her big sister (in 7th grade) was there. 
Fifth graders relished this opportunity, and adults do, too. One past colleague described the experience of listening to others analyze your success as being like listening to a sports talk radio show when you’re the person who got the game-winning hit the night before. Others can take our successes and help us to feel just a little heroic, like they should! Whether you use this protocol or not, and no matter what ages you work with, I hope you find some opportunities to reflect on your successes. There is never a bad time to do so!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Build Culture, One "Pin" at a Time

Leaving "The Rope" on the Ground is Easy with Powerful Practice

Pro-Life Allows 600,000 to become 1 Team