My first Borgia Birthday

As a young man, I was always jealous of the kids at school who got to celebrate a birthday on a school day. On those days, the birthday boy or girl would receive dozens of "Happy Birthday" wishes, and often the whole class loved the birthday student because he or she brought a birthday treat for all to share. Not to mention, the teacher usually gave the birthday student some sort of special treatment...or so it seemed. My birthday is on July 24. So, I did have some years where the teacher would recognize my half birthday in January. However, I never felt as special as I assumed those other kids felt who celebrated an actual birthday at school. 

When I became a school administrator, I no longer had to wonder what it was like to be at school on my birthday. I was here on Wednesday, as we still have a lot to do to get ready for the school year. However, my first Borgia birthday was much more than a routine day. 

On Wednesday, I got my first real taste of what it means to be part of the Borgia family. I was the recipient of dozens of birthday wishes from our Borgia staff, students, and parents. The volleyball team even made me a poster. Mr. Wingbermuehle also put together a little midday party for me where we had some German chocolate cake, as well as a second cake featuring vanilla pudding, expertly made by Mrs. Vossbrink. To top it all off, the staff gave me a "Knight" whose sword is topped by a silver lamp shade. They also gave me a gift certificate to our spirit shop, so I can better represent Borgia everywhere I go! 

My wife and kids also visited on Wednesday, and they made me a St. Francis Borgia picture comprised of photos of items that look like letters. These photos were all taken around Washington, most of them coming from Borgia High School, or from the St. Francis Borgia and Our Lady of Lourdes parishes. 

Some people may think I am odd for wanting to go to school or to work on my "special day." However, my first Borgia birthday could not have been more special. This place feels like home, and the people here feel like family, already. Thank you to all of you who made Wednesday special for me, and thanks to all of you who will make everyday special here in the future.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Build Culture, One "Pin" at a Time

Leaving "The Rope" on the Ground is Easy with Powerful Practice

Pro-Life Allows 600,000 to become 1 Team