Excited to Begin!

Though I don't officially begin the job until July 1, I am already getting quite the positive taste of the St. Francis Borgia school community, and this all began with my opportunity to meet the staff last month.

On the final work day of the school year, the students were no longer in the building, but the teachers gathered for mass, a breakfast, and to tie up loose-ends heading into the summer. When I introduced myself to the staff, I discussed my past, sharing that my preparation to lead the school academically stems from the great people I have had the chance to work for and with in the past. I discussed my great years in the Parkway School District, and shared that I learned quite a bit from my time at St. Dominic, even though they did not want to hear much about my time with our rival! What surprised me about my visit, however, happened next. The questions from the staff were not about my professional background. Instead, they were about my family. They wanted to know about my wife and my kids. At that point, I knew that I had become part of a family. I knew I would love it here.

Later in the morning, I attended mass, and Father Kevin concluded the mass by welcoming me to the front and presenting me with a cross for my office. It was a wonderful gesture, and again, I realized Borgia is a special place.

Over the past few weeks, I have had the chance to meet several students. Several students were kind to my wife and kids when we toured the school. My sophomore daughter cannot wait to begin! I really appreciated the students who took the time to say "hello," and one girl who crouched down to speak to my two year-old daughter. On my routine visits to the school, I have been happy to be greeted by students working out front and in classrooms, all of whom are so willing to smile and talk for a few seconds.

In a couple of weeks, I will no longer be a regular visitor to the school, but I regular fixture to its community. I am excited for my chance to be as welcoming to others as the community has already been to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Build Culture, One "Pin" at a Time

Pro-Life Allows 600,000 to become 1 Team

Leaving "The Rope" on the Ground is Easy with Powerful Practice